Job Opening: Artistic Director
Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic Artistic Director – Music Performance & Instruction
Weekly rehearsals + performances (50+ per year), monthly meetings, annual tour
Anticipated Hire Date:
July 15, 2021
Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic is a music education and performance organization with IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable designation in Saline, Michigan. The group is supported by countless hours of volunteer labor, student tuition, sales of recordings, fees for performing, and donations from its many dedicated fans. This support allows the members of Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic to share their joy of traditional forms of music, song and dance with audiences of all ages, and to preserve this music for future generations.
The musicians, all from local area high schools, present an energetic and polished show that features a diverse range of music from American folk, fiddle, bluegrass, jazz, western swing, and Celtic traditions. Spirited vocals and Appalachian step dancing combine with the instrumentals to create an unforgettable live performance.
Working alongside the Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic artistic team, the students help plan shows, craft arrangements and make organizational decisions. This collaborative ownership gives the group a creative edge and high level of enthusiasm that is clearly visible in their performances. The Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic members are selected through competitive auditions based on musical talent and personal maturity. The widely acclaimed Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic’s history includes more than 1,500 performances in the majority of the states in our nation. The group has been honored to perform three times at the White House and twice on the Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center, as well as at a State of Michigan’s Presidential Inaugural Ball. Annual summer tours have spanned the United States from the east coast to the west coast, down south to up north, and have also included performances in Canada and tours in Europe, including visits to Saline’s sister cities of Brecon, Wales and Lindenberg, Germany. Each year the group performs 50-60 times, generally donating one third of their annual schedule to community service events.
Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic has shared the stage with many top artists as well as other student groups and has produced recordings bi-annually since its inception.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
This part-time salaried role requires an individual with exceptional fiddling credentials, outstanding leadership, communication and management skills to lead the creation of group performance content and deliver with the support of artistic and business staff along with parent volunteers. Successful candidates will have formal music education with 3+ years of group instruction experience and a passion for traditional fiddle music and dance. The ability to arrange and produce music is a plus as is stage performance and production experience. Duties include planning and running weekly Sunday rehearsals, workshops, year-round performances, performance tours, events and coordinating with the organization to meet goals. The group also produces semi-annual albums through professional studio and production staff.
Responsible for devising instruction experiences conducive to the students’ development of group and individual musical and stage performance skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Music, Education or related field.
- 3+ years’ experience in group music instruction and performance.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with both parent volunteers, staff and students effectively.
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with assistant directors to plan and run weekly Sunday rehearsals.
- Attend meetings of and coordinate with the Operations Council (parent volunteers) and Governance Board.
- Collaborate with staff to facilitate year-round performances, tours, and events.
- Travel with the group for the majority of events.
- Manage and create repertoire for performing and recording.
- Stage management, planning, and show-running for live performances.
- Conduct yearly auditions and select new student members with the support of assistant directors. Collaborate with Saline Area Schools’ music programs.
- Facilitate collaboration with professional and student musicians through workshops and performances.
- Assume responsibility for all instruments and equipment assigned to the organization.
- Create and maintain an environment conducive to learning. Support the needs of each student through continuous evaluation of playing abilities directly and through assistant directors.
- Be aware of all rules and regulations governing the organization along with fulfilling its mission and goals.
- Strive to constantly improve the quality of instruction through meaningful self-evaluation and an awareness of new and useful teaching and mentoring techniques.
- Enhance the image of the organization by exhibiting professionalism with and toward other performers, personnel and the community.
- Establish and maintain open communication and a professional relationship with parents, students, staff and community members and leaders.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Keep the Executive Director and Board of Directors informed of all matters relating to the operation of the program.
Direct activities of 3-4 assistant directors who report to the Executive Director.
Computer (as needed for remote/virtual sessions and communications), Professional Sound System (supported by technical staff).
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- This position requires regular interaction with staff, parent-led operations council and board of directors.
Send introduction and resume to the Executive Director at email@example.com. Application review begins 5/15/2021, deadline to receive resumes is 6/15/2021 with an anticipated hire date of 7/15/2021.
Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic is a registered 501(c) non-profit located in Saline Michigan supporting diversity and equal opportunities for all members.